After finishing Afternoon Delite , Ellen Farber and I soon decided to move on to another summer project.
I don't know exactly how this idea was created, but it was decided that we should make a rocket out of old coors light cans. Yay recycling! It was originally proposed that we create the Coors V, in commemoration of the Saturn V. This project also required a lot of running around to hardware stores at home depot, trying to find the best place to buy the epoxy that we wanted, and buying the necessary supplies. We used an E-9 motor because that was the largest we could find in nearby hobby stores, and managed to adapt the motor mounting kit to the inside of a can with the top and bottom removed. When the motor was selected we realized that we had to scale back the rocket so Instead of a 5 of 7-can configuration we went with a single can stack. The project became a test bed for what will eventually by the Coors V rocket.
Engine : E9
Body: Coors light cans x3
Parachute: estes rocket kit plastic chute
Nosecone: Coors light bottle
Altitude : 426 ft
The nose-cone and entire forward section were separated during the ejection charge because we had not been able to securely fasten the shock cord to the can. Video coming soon.
The Coors V will require about 56 cans. I'm working on it.
Leave a Reply.
BS Mechanical Eng